A friend recently asked me why I think neighborhoods are so unfriendly around here. I mean, we know so few of our neighbors, and our kids play outside with neighborhood kids so rarely. Below are my answers:
- Demography: We have lots of senior citizens who came in the 50s housing boom.
- Proposition 13: The seniors won’t move out of their houses because their taxes are soooo lowwwww.
- Fences: High fences really suck, and we have them everywhere.
- Super Type-A Parents: They think an hour of kids play in the ‘hood is an hour wasted.
- Asian Immigrants: I’m married to an unconventional one from Shanghai, but most of the Asian immigrants who move to PA/MP these days are devoted to hard work, not play – both parents’ work to pay off their huge mortgages and kids’ work to get into great colleges.
What do you think?